- Rich Peverley collapses on Dallas Stars bench; game postponed
- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
La Russa to miss Cubs opener for treatment
The team says the examination will be at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. The Cardinals did not disclose the problem, initially identified in mid-April as conjunctivitis, an inflammation commonly known as pink eye.
La Russa said last week that the illness was not conjunctivitis and called it a viral infection. The entire right side of the manager’s face was swollen for a period of time although La Russa continued to hit fungoes at practice until the last homestand.
Last week, the illness appeared improved cosmetically, but La Russa said it was still an effort to keep his right eye open.
“I’m not doing much,” La Russa said before a game last weekend. “I had to shut it down because I just can’t hang in there. It’s hard to hit one-eyed.”
La Russa said managing games has been easier because of the adrenaline involved.
“You handle that better than you do before and after,” he said. “The game is not that tough, it just doesn’t bother you as much.”
The 66-year-old La Russa is in his 16th season as St. Louis manager.
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Man with stolen passport on missing jet is asylum seeker
- Al Qaeda to launch English-language Web magazine 'Resurgence'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again