- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Tuning in to TV
Question of the Day
‘General Hospital,’ PBS lead Daytime Emmy nominations
PBS leads the pack in nominations for the 38th annual Daytime Emmy Awards, followed by ABC, syndicated shows and CBS, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Nominations were announced Wednesday; the awards show will be broadcast live from Las Vegas on CBS at 9 p.m. June 19.
Wayne Brady, host of CBS’ “Let’s Make a Deal,” will host. Pat Sajak of “Wheel of Fortune” and Alex Trebek of “Jeopardy! ” will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards.
PBS received 57 nominations; ABC was close behind with 56. Syndicated shows earned 43, while CBS received 42. Nickelodeon beat NBC, with 25 and 15, respectively.
“General Hospital” was the most-nominated show, garnering 21. “The Young and the Restless” was No. 2 with 20 nominations, and “Sesame Street” earned 16. “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” which have been canceled, nabbed 13 and 12, respectively.
“The Ellen DeGeneres Show” received more than double the nominations of “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” which will go off the air this month after 25 years. Ms. DeGeneres’ talker was nominated 12 times, Miss Winfrey’s, five.
The “Today” show and “The View” each earned six. “Good Morning America” earned one, and the CBS “Early Show” was left off the list.
Networks competing for Dugard interview
The coming publication of a memoir by the California woman who was kidnapped as a girl and held for 18 years has broadcasters scrambling to become the first to get an interview with her, according to the Associated Press.
Simon & Schuster announced Monday that the memoir of Jaycee Dugard will go on sale July 12. Titled “A Stolen Life,” it will cover Miss Dugard’s abduction and life with Phillip and Nancy Garrido, the couple who have pleaded guilty to kidnapping and rape.
Miss Dugard has not decided yet whether she will do interviews surrounding the book, according to Nancy Seltzer, her spokeswoman. If she does, it would break the silence she has maintained since releasing a home video to ABC News last year.
“What’s conveyed on television is her emotion, the look on her face,” Miss Seltzer said of a possible network TV interview. “With great and true respect to the printed word, it’s not the same.”
Miss Seltzer declined to reveal which networks were making pitches. She is asking the journalists to provide details on what they would ask Miss Dugard.
‘Star Wars’ actor loses suit over idea for TV show
Hayden Christensen, who played Anakin Skywalker in the “Star Wars” prequels, was dealt a blow Tuesday in his lawsuit against USA Network over its “Royal Pains” series, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
According to the New York Post, a judge tossed out the suit brought by Mr. Christensen and his brother, Tove, along with Forest Park Pictures.
In the suit, filed in December, the brothers alleged that they brought the idea for a concierge doctor show titled “Housecall” to USA and met with Alex Pepiol, who at the time was manager of original scripted series programming at the network. They said they also sent him materials including a treatment, character biographies and show ideas.
They claimed “Royal Pains” misappropriated characters, concept and story lines from the “Housecall” treatment.
On Tuesday, Manhattan federal Judge Colleen McMahon said in court that the breach-of-contract claims were overruled by federal law “concerning materials that are not copyrightable, such as ideas.”
Reinhardt, CNN pioneer, former president dies
Burt Reinhardt, one of CNN’s first presidents and a television pioneer who is credited with helping build the global news network in its formative years, died at his home near Atlanta on Tuesday, the Associated Press reported. He was 91.
Mr. Reinhardt suffered from a series of strokes before his death in Marietta, Ga., said his daughter, Cheryl Reinhardt.
“Without Burt Reinhardt, it is doubtful that CNN would exist today,” said Tom Johnson, who in 1990 succeeded Mr. Reinhardt as the 24-hour network’s chief.
Mr. Reinhardt joined CNN in 1979 as the start-up network prepared to launch its new idea, his daughter said. Turner Broadcasting founder Ted Turner named Mr. Reinhardt as president in January 1982. During his tenure, he oversaw the beginning of “Larry King Live” and much of the network’s expansion.
• Compiled from Web and wire reports.
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'Economic Freedom Zones' for Detroit
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
How does our 50th state view D.C. politics?
White House pets gone wild!