Continued from page 1

Earlier this year, Lennon and players Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn, who are also from Northern Ireland, were sent packages containing bullets.

Wednesday’s incident came in a televised match, which Celtic won 3-0 to move within a point of league leader Rangers heading into this weekend’s final games.

After Celtic scored the second goal, Wilson ran onto the field from the home section of the main stand at Hearts’ Tynecastle stadium. He appeared to lose his balance as he lunged at Lennon, but still made contact with his left hand to the back of the manager’s head.

Wilson was wrestled to the ground and taken away by police.

Lennon did not speak to reporters after the game, but posted on Twitter: “Don’t let what happened to me tonight take the shine off a wonderful team performance… I don’t walk alone.”

His assistant, Johan Mjallby, said Lennon was “shocked.”

“We have to look into this because when you work in management you should be secure in a football ground,” Mjallby said.

Hearts announced on Thursday that the fan has been banned from the club for life. The club has launched an investigation into the incident.

The Scottish Football Association is also looking into the attack, particularly in light of the breach of security.

“Clearly this kind of behavior from supporters is wholly unacceptable,” chief executive Stewart Regan said. “The safety of players, club officials and match officials is paramount on or around the field of play.

Lawwell said he was convinced the incident had wider ramifications than the soccer pitch.

“Last night’s appalling attack on Neil Lennon brings shame on Scottish football,” he said. “And it again highlights the fact that Scottish society must address fundamental and serious issues which lead to outrages of this kind.”