- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
- Joy Behar: Sarah Palin should be ‘turning letters over on some game show’
- Rhino poacher in South Africa sentenced to 77 years in jail
- John Kerry defies FAA and flies to Israel to talk peace
- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
Princess Beatrice’s wedding hat to be auctioned
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - The eye-popping hat worn by Princess Beatrice at Britain’s royal wedding is to be auctioned to raise money for charity, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.
The hat was the handiwork of Britain’s leading milliner, Philip Treacy, who designed many of the ladies’ hats worn at the April 29 nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton, now known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
The unusual design of the beige hat has sparked a Facebook fan page called “Princess Beatrice’s ridiculous Royal Wedding hat,” and one computer-altered picture showed President Barack Obama and his national security team all wearing the hat as they watched the commando raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan.
The sale was announced by Beatrice’s mother, Sarah Ferguson, on “The Oprah Winfrey Show.” A palace spokesman confirmed the sale while speaking on condition of anonymity in line with policy.
Many have said the hat looked outlandish, but Treacy has defended it in comments to the British press, saying Beatrice looked “gorgeous” at the wedding.
Beatrice, 22, also defended it in a recent interview with Grazia magazine. She said it was “wonderful that it’s had such a reaction.”
She added: “It’s an incredible response to a hat, really. I’m glad it provoked so much conversation.”
UNICEF and Children in Crisis said in a statement on their website that they are looking forward to working with Beatrice to raise as much money as possible for children around the world.
The hat isn’t on eBay yet, but a “Princess Beatrice Style Royal Wedding Paper Costume Hat” is currently listed at $9.99.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- EDITORIAL: A new witch hunt in Salem
- Outrage over $190M border security deal for troubled federal contractor USIS
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq