- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Chris Pontius’ penalty-kick goal helps United earn 1-1 tie with Colorado Rapids
Chris Pontius scored on a penalty kick in the 62nd minute, helping D.C. United salvage a 1-1 tie with the Colorado Rapids on Saturday night.
Pontius was taken down just inside the box by Colorado's Kosuke Kimura, and the United forward beat goalkeeper Matt Pickens low and left for his third goal of the season.
Colorado opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when defender Drew Moor scored his first goal of the year off a free kick from Jamie Smith. Smith's kick hit United defender Dejan Jakovic in the back and caromed directly to Moor, who easily beat D.C. keeper Bill Hamid.
D.C. (3-4-3) played most of the match without MLS scoring leader Charlie Davis, who left in the 34th minute because of a hamstring injury. Forward Josh Wolff exited in the 36th minute with a groin injury.
Colorado (4-3-3), which beat D.C. 4-1 on April 3, has never defeated United twice in one season.
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again