- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Briefly: Middle East
Parliament accepts Shiite resignations
MANAMA — Bahrain’s parliament accepted the resignations Tuesday of the last seven lawmakers of the Shiite opposition in a move that could exacerbate sectarian tensions in the strategic Gulf island kingdom.
The move came as senior U.S. diplomats met with Bahrain’s foreign and justice ministers, urging them to open dialogue with the opposition in the wake of the deadly crackdown by the country’s Sunni rulers that suppressed anti-government protests, mainly by the Shiite minority earlier this year.
The lawmakers’ resignation were submitted in February in protest against the crackdown but had not yet been approved by parliament. The resignations of 11 other Shiite opposition members of parliament were accepted previously. They were members of Al Wefaq, the country’s largest Shiite party.
Bahrain’s 40-member lower house of parliament is left with 22 lawmakers and is controlled by Sunnis. Elections to fill the 18 empty seats are scheduled for September.
Officials: 3 killed in al Qaeda attack
SANAA — Yemeni security officials said two soldiers and a civilian were killed Tuesday when armed men believed to belong to al Qaeda attacked security posts in the eastern city of Mukalla.
Yemen’s active al Qaeda offshoot has taken advantage of the months of popular protests calling for the ouster of longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step up operations in the country’s weakly governed provinces.
In the attack, armed men opened fire on two security posts outside Mukalla, the capital of Hadramawt province, security officials said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity according to regulations. The attack killed two soldiers and one passer-by.
Mubarak’s wife released, still faces probe
CAIRO — The wife of Egypt’s ousted president was released from detention on Tuesday after giving up assets but is still being investigated, said an official leading a probe into whether she amassed wealth illegally.
Suzanne Mubarak, who denies charges that she abused her husband’s influence for unlawful personal gain, was admitted to a hospital on Friday after suffering symptoms of a heart attack. She ws detained in the same hospital as her husband.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.