- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Johnson pleads guilty to public corruption charges
Question of the Day
Former Prince George’s County Executive Jack B. Johnson on Tuesday pleaded guilty to two felony charges involving thousands of dollars in bribes he solicited as part of a “pay-to-play” culture federal authorities say he fostered throughout his two terms in office.
Johnson, who led Prince George’s from 2002 to December and was the county’s top prosecutor for eight years before that, entered his guilty plea in federal court in Greenbelt on charges of extortion and witness and evidence tampering.
As part of the plea, he admitted accepting a $100,000 check from a county developer in exchange for securing federal funding for the developer’s projects in Prince George’s County. He also admitted to instructing his wife, County Council member Leslie Johnson, to destroy the check as federal agents came to his home to serve a search warrant.
“The mountain of evidence and Jack Johnson’s admission of guilt paint a shocking picture of almost a decade of greed and deceit,” said Leo Taddeo, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI Baltimore field office, after the hearing.
Under the agreement announced Tuesday, prosecutors will not pursue six other counts.
The two counts to which Johnson, 62, pleaded guilty each carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein said sentencing guidelines for the case recommend an 11- to 13-year jail sentence. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 15.
Both in court, where he provided hesitant answers to U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte’s questions, and outside the courthouse after entering his guilty plea, Johnson indicated there was more to his side of the story that he was unable to share until his sentencing.
“I wish I could talk about this case and will do so in the future,” said the former county executive, who dressed in a crisp dark suit and was accompanied by his attorney and an entourage of ministers.
Throughout his time as county executive, Johnson remained popular among residents. The story of his rise from a poor and rural part of South Carolina to leader of the affluent majority-black county seemed to resonate with voters, whom he often networked with at Sunday church services.
“I’m very sorry for what happened,” he said. “We all sin and fall short of the glory of the Lord.”
Johnson’s plea agreement sheds light on the depth of corruption that ran through swaths of county government for years and names several major players who previously entered into secret plea agreements with federal prosecutors. The plea agreements of the three, doctor and developer Mirza Baig, former Prince George’s County Director of Housing and Urban Development James Johnson (no relation to Jack Johnson), and developer Patrick Ricker, were unsealed Tuesday.
The plea agreements revealed Baig was “Developer A,” the developer clandestinely mentioned in previous court documents. Baig, 67, of Burtonsville pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy to commit extortion and admitted to paying Jack and James Johnson between $400,000 and $1 million in bribes from 2006 to 2010. He ran Baig Ventures, a commercial and residential developer in the county since at least 1992.
In exchange for bribes, Baig received the county executive´s assistance concerning several development projects, including the receipt of $1.7 million in federal block grants to pay for the renovation of 11 homes to be rented to low-income residents.
James Johnson, 66, of Temple Hills, pleaded guilty in January to conspiracy to commit extortion and admitted to accepting bribes from both Baig and Ricker. Jack Johnson appointed him as the county’s housing director in 2009.
Ricker, 52, of Bowie, pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy to commit fraud and tax evasion. The president of Ricker Brothers, a commercial brokerage and development consulting firm, Ricker admitted to concealing the value of campaign contributions that he and others made to state and local officials by soliciting straw donors. In his plea agreement, he also admitted to providing a stream of other gifts, including airline tickets, rounds of golf and sexual services to members of the county’s executive and legislative branch and the Board of Education. In exchange, his company received approval on their proposed development project, Greenbelt Station.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener