- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High cost of supporting Maryland’s illegals
That liberal Democratic-controlled Maryland is a sanctuary state for illegal aliens is no surprise (“Foes push repeal as Dream cheered,” Metro, Wednesday). What is a surprise is that in March, Maryland’s House of Delegates Rules Committee held hearings concerning the enforcement of federal immigration laws.
House Joint Resolution 10 was introduced by first-term Republican Delegate Neil Parrott and co-sponsored by 15 other delegates. Joint resolution 10 resolves that Maryland “end sanctuary policies and require public and private employers comply with federal and state immigration laws” and calls on law enforcement to arrest any person harboring illegal aliens.
Gov. Martin O’Malley and his left-wing comrades in the General Assembly ignore the federal laws regarding immigration issues despite the constitutional requirement that they enforce them. The statutes of the United States is part of the law of each state just as if it were written into each state’s law books. The federal code makes no exceptions. Any governor, mayor or local official who offers sanctuary to illegal aliens and prohibits the police from enforcing the federal law is in violation.
Offering sanctuary to illegal aliens not only undermines our legal system but also creates a great financial burden for Maryland’s citizen taxpayers. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates the illegal alien population in Maryland to be 300,000. The direct cost to Maryland taxpayers forced to support the illegal population include education, health and incarceration. The documented cost of educating from kindergarten to 12th grade the 80,300 children of illegal aliens is more than $966 million annually, according to the July 2010 report by the Federation for American Immigration Reform. An additional $250 million is spent providing special English instruction to an estimated 35,000 children of illegal aliens. The total cost for educating the children of illegals is more than $1.2 billion a year. Health care for illegals in Maryland costs $167 million a year and incarceration of illegal alien criminals costs $29 million.
There are additional indirect costs. As Joint Resolution 10 states, “the illegal alien invasion has a corresponding increase in violent crimes, criminal gang activity, threats to public health … and jobs taken from Americans.” These indirect costs, though incalculable, are substantial. Illegals who break the law to enter the United States are likely to continue to break other laws to stay here and will migrate to places that won’t prosecute or deport them.
Maryland has an estimated structural budget deficit of more than $1 billion, but the state would have a surplus were it not for the costs of supporting the illegal alien population.
Silver Spring, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable