- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
MOWBRAY: Putting teeth in Obama’s lip service
House could send tough message about Hamas subterfuge
Question of the Day
Reinforcing that push will be the lobbying efforts from AIPAC attendees, who are making the new Iran Threat Reduction Act a top priority. The bill, introduced by House Foreign Affairs Chairwoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida Republican, and her ranking member, Rep. Howard Berman, California Democrat, would greatly expand the sanctions on human-rights violators in the government and in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which is the main arm of the mullahs’ repression of the Iranian people.
The bill also includes an idea developed by my colleagues at Foundation Defense of Democracies to sanction any company which purchases petroleum from IRGC front companies, which are the dominant players in Iran’s crude oil and natural gas supply chains. A related idea would be to target the role of Hamas and Hamas-affiliated entities in key sectors of the Palestinian economy.
After all, much like the staged marches of angry Arabs last week on four of Israel’s borders, the threats facing the Jewish state are all connected by a powerful force calling the shots from behind-the-scenes: the Iranian mullahs, who have never wavered in their desire for Israel’s destruction.
Joel Mowbray is an adjunct fellow with the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones