- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Pakistan air force kills 23 militants in northwest
PARACHINAR, Pakistan — Pakistani fighter jets pounded militant hide-outs in the country’s northwestern on Friday, killing 23 suspected insurgents, a government official said.
Local government official Javed Khan said the attacks targeted insurgents in the Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions close to neighboring Afghanistan. The jets also destroyed some anti-aircraft guns positioned on high ground, he said.
Pakistani security forces have carried similar air strikes in both tribal regions since militants moved there after fleeing an army offensive last year in nearby South Waziristan.
Al Qaeda and Taliban militants have bases along the Afghan border, and the Pakistan army has launched several offensives in recent years. The militants still remain active, however.
It was not possible to get independent confirmation of casualties and the identities of those killed in the attacks because the regions are remote and dangerous, and media access is restricted there.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Senate rejects Gillibrand's overhaul of military's handling of sexual assaults
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again