- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
Pakistan air force kills 23 militants in northwest
Question of the Day
PARACHINAR, Pakistan — Pakistani fighter jets pounded militant hide-outs in the country’s northwestern on Friday, killing 23 suspected insurgents, a government official said.
Local government official Javed Khan said the attacks targeted insurgents in the Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions close to neighboring Afghanistan. The jets also destroyed some anti-aircraft guns positioned on high ground, he said.
Pakistani security forces have carried similar air strikes in both tribal regions since militants moved there after fleeing an army offensive last year in nearby South Waziristan.
Al Qaeda and Taliban militants have bases along the Afghan border, and the Pakistan army has launched several offensives in recent years. The militants still remain active, however.
It was not possible to get independent confirmation of casualties and the identities of those killed in the attacks because the regions are remote and dangerous, and media access is restricted there.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world