- Calif. tourist community evacuated over suspected explosive device
- Obama to use executive seat to push private companies onto solar
- ‘X-Men’ director Bryan Singer accused of sexually abusing a boy
- Tennessee ammunition site explodes, killing 1
- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
Shakira considering album in Arabic
The native Spanish speaker, who also has global hits in English, was speaking at a news conference in Morocco, where she was headlining the Mawazine World Rhythms music festival.
“It would be a challenge to do an album in Arabic. I would first have to learn Arabic,” she said. “I am completely open to that experience. … At some point I would love that to happen in my life.”
Born in Colombia of Syrian origin, Shakira said she grew up listening to the Arab world’s premier divas of the 20th century, Egyptian Umm Kalthum and Lebanese Fairuz.
Shakira often uses eastern dance, also known as belly dancing, in her acts, and her hit Spanish language single “Ojas Asi” relies heavily on a Middle Eastern melody. Her eastern origins and musical influences have made her popular throughout the Middle East.
She admitted, however, that she only speaks a few words of Arabic, including “ateeni boosa” or give me a kiss, provoking laughter among the mostly Moroccan crowd of journalists.
Morocco’s 10th-annual Mawazine festival of world music concluded Saturday after eight days of music that saw bands from 60 countries, including Kanye West, Lionel Ritchie, Egypt’s Amr Diab and Senegal’s Youssou N’Dour.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.