- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Afghan official: NATO airstrike kills 14
Question of the Day
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A NATO airstrike targeting insurgents inadvertently hit two civilian homes in the volatile southwestern Helmand province, killing 12 children and two women, an Afghan government official said Sunday.
Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial government, said the alliance launched the airstrike late on Saturday in retaliation for an attack earlier in the day on a U.S. Marine base in Helmand’s northwest district of Nawzad. He said NATO hit two civilian houses, killing five girls, seven boys and two women.
Maj. Tim James, a NATO spokesman, said a joint coalition and Afghan delegation was traveling Sunday to the site to investigate. He didn’t confirm the airstrike and provided no details about it or the attack on the Marines.
Civilian deaths are a constant source of tension between NATO and Afghan officials.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai repeatedly has called on coalition forces to minimize night raids and airstrikes and clear the operations with his forces.
“We have told the Americans and NATO forces several times that uncoordinated operations will result in the killing of innocent civilians and that such operations are inhumane, but still no one has listened,” Mr. Karzai said Sunday, adding that his condemnation would be “the last warning to NATO forces, American forces and American officials.”
Helmand borders Pakistan and is an insurgent bastion. The province’s vast poppy fields are the Taliban’s prime profit center.
Afghan insurgents have stepped up a spring offensive across the country.
On Saturday, a Taliban suicide bomber wearing a police uniform blew himself up inside a heavily guarded compound in northern Afghanistan as top Afghan and international officials were leaving a meeting.
The blast killed two senior Afghan police commanders and wounded a German general in command of coalition troops in the region. Two German soldiers and two other Afghans also were killed in the blast, which came just weeks before a planned drawdown of U.S. troops begins this summer.
The bomber detonated his explosives-laden vest inside the governor’s complex in Takhar province, where high-ranking Afghan officials were meeting with members of the international coalition.
Among the dead was Gen. Daud Daud, regional police commander in northern Afghanistan. Gen. Daud was a former deputy interior minister for counternarcotics and a former bodyguard of Ahmad Shah Massoud, the charismatic Tajik leader who commanded the Northern Alliance and died in an al Qaeda suicide bombing two days before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that provoked the U.S. invasion.
Also killed in the Saturday blast were Gen. Shah Jahan Noori, the provincial police chief; a secretary to the governor; and one of Gen. Daud’s bodyguards, the health director said.
Gen. Markus Kneip, the NATO force’s commander for nine northern provinces, was among the wounded, German Defense Minister Thomas de Maiziere said in Berlin.
Abdul Jabar Taqwa, the Takhar province governor who was at the meeting and suffered burns to his head, hands and back, described the attack from a residence where he was recovering Sunday.
“General Kneip and I were about to leave the building,” he said. “Suddenly, we heard a very big explosion. I didn’t know from which direction the sound came or what was going on … the explosion threw me out of the building and down the stairs.”
Nine other Afghans were wounded, including a cameraman working in the governor’s office and eight Afghan troops.
The meeting focused on ways to prevent another violent protest in the northern province, where security has deteriorated as NATO and Afghan forces tackle insurgent strongholds in the south. Last week, 12 people died in Taloqan when a protest over a NATO raid that killed four deteriorated into a riot.
The Afghan public, which has grown increasingly hostile to foreigners as the nearly decade-long war continues, tends to perceive the NATO raids as capturing the wrong people or mistreating civilians during searches of private homes and compounds. The civilian casualties on Sunday were likely to add to the hostility.
Mirwais Khan reported from Kandahar, Afghanistan.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare in intensive care
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq