- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Budget deal exposes GOP divisions; conservatives slam tax hikes, vague cuts
Son: Mladic had nothing to do with Srebrenica
Question of the Day
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Ratko Mladic claims he did not order the massacre of 8,000 men and boys in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica when it fell during the 1992-95 war, his son said Sunday.
Darko Mladic said his father denies being the instigator of the massacre — the worst atrocity in Europe since the end of World War II.
“Whatever was done in Srebrenica, he has nothing to do with it,” Darko Mladic said. “His orders were to evacuate the wounded, the women and the children and then the fighters. Whatever was done behind his back, he has nothing to do with that.”
Europe’s most wanted war crimes fugitive, the 69-year old former general is being held in a Serbian jail after his arrest last week after 16 years on the run. He is charged with genocide and other war crimes by the tribunal in The Hague, which reviewed what it called compelling evidence that he personally orchestrated the massacre and other atrocities.
It was not clear when the former commander of Serb forces in Bosnia made the claims. His family and lawyers have been fighting extradition, arguing that the general is too ill to face charges.
The family plans to demand Monday that a Serbian court order an independent medical checkup to dispute a conclusion by court-appointed doctors that Ratko Mladic is fit to stand trial.
“His basic human rights are being violated,” Darko Mladic said.
Prosecutors have dismissed the family’s moves as a delaying tactic.
Serbian authorities have stepped up security throughout the country ahead of an ultranationalist rally planned in central Belgrade on Sunday evening.
Similar rallies in the past have resulted in clashes between the police and right-wing extremists.
Defense requests appear likely to delay Ratko Mladic’s extradition until at least Tuesday. His lawyer, Milos Saljic, said he would send an extradition appeal by mail — instead of submitting it personally — in order to gain more time.
Ratko Mladic has suffered at least two, and possibly three, strokes, the latest in 2008, his son said. The suspect’s right arm is only semifunctional, and his family says he is not lucid.
“It is impossible to talk to him sensibly about usual things, to talk about his defense case,” Mr. Saljic said, “because he is really in bad shape psychologically.”
Above all, the former commander keeps demanding that he be allowed to visit the grave of his daughter, who committed suicide in 1994.
“He says if he can’t go there, he wants his daughter’s coffin brought in here,” the lawyer added. “His condition is alarming.”
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Obama administration blasts GOP for criticism of Castro handshake
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Interviews and show reviews from the Los Angeles punk scene past and present. Los Angeles has always been rich in punk rock talent since punk rock was born.
Buzz on Bees is a column promoting the love and life of God’s greatest pollinators on earth: The Honeybee
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow