- The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The director of detained services at the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS), who was shot recently in a robbery attempt, is under court order to stay away from his wife and three children, according to a sworn petition his wife filed last year, saying he beat her.

Jeffrey McInnis, 43, was ordered last September to vacate his suburban Maryland home and refrain from contacting his wife, Phyllis, or their three children, the court record states. On Sept. 10, Mrs. McInnis filed a petition for protection from domestic violence related to a Sept. 8 incident in which Mr. McInnis is said to have argued with her over accusations she was having an affair, the petition states.

“Jeff threatened to kill me, he also pinned me down to the bed and choked me until I would not breathe,” she wrote in the petition. “For the next several hours, he severely punched me in the head and all over my body with a closed fist.”

The petition states Mrs. McInnis feared for her safety and the safety of her children, who range in age from 10 to 18. “Jeff told me ‘I’d be six feet under before I get my kids back,’ ” the petition states.

The protective order remains in effect until Sept. 21, 2011, court records state. However, Mr. McInnis told The Washington Times on Monday he and his wife have reconciled, and she has rescinded her allegations. There is no record of criminal charges filed in the incident.

In an email Tuesday, Mrs. McInnis, who now goes by Phyllis O’Neil-McInnis, said she has recanted her allegations and is seeking to have the court order rescinded.

Mr. McInnis also said in an email Tuesday he informed former DYRS general counsel Neil Stanley, the current interim director, who is awaiting confirmation, of the “unfounded allegations” as soon as he became aware of them. After The Times reported on Mr. McInnis‘ shooting recently, Mr. Stanley put out a statement that said Mr. McInnis was recovering at home with his family.

But on Monday, the McInnis family’s attorney, Todd Elling, said the couple are “in the process of reconciliation” and that he will file court documents to rescind the sworn allegations made by Mrs. McInnis. Mr. Elling confirmed the court order is still “in full effect,” but denied that Mr. McInnis had returned to the family home.

It is unclear when Mr. McInnis will return to work supervising the DYRS Youth Services Center, a detention facility for youth awaiting commitment proceedings.