- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
Uecker receives award before Brewers game
ATLANTA (AP) - Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker was presented with the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association's Hall of Fame award before Milwaukee's game against the Braves on Tuesday.
NSSA executive director Dave Goren referred to Uecker as "Mr. Baseball" when presenting a Hall of Fame plaque during a short ceremony outside the radio booth.
"I'm sure there are a lot of managers that wouldn't call me Mr. Baseball," Uecker said.
He will be inducted into the NSSA Hall of Fame along with announcer Brent Musburger and sportswriter Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe.
Uecker is in his 41st year as a broadcaster for the Brewers. He'll miss the induction on May 16 because he will be traveling with the team to Los Angeles.
Uecker apologized for missing the induction and said "I think I'm doing it the right way" by continuing with his broadcast duties during the trip.
"I'd like to be there to watch you bury some of my equipment and make sure it's never used again," Uecker joked.
The 76-year-old Uecker had his second heart surgery in October.
He was inducted in the Radio Hall of Fame in 2001 and the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 2003.
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We completely overhauled American health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Crimea votes in favor of secession, U.S. rejects
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Trust me: Obama promises new overtime rules will be 'easier for everyone'
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014