- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Budget cuts keep new school closed
RIVERSIDE — A Southern California school district has spent $105 million on a new state-of-the-art high school but now doesn’t have the money to operate it.
The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that the Alvord Unified School District is building Hillcrest High School to relieve overcrowding. But after three years of state funding cuts totaling some $25 million, it doesn’t have the funding for staff and overhead to open it in September.
The school board in the Riverside County district has postponed opening the school for a year. But even then there’s no guarantee that the district will be financially able to take on the extra expense.
In the meantime, the district will spend about $1 million in security and maintenance for the empty campus.
Bishop: King leaves church following settlement
ATLANTA — The youngest daughter of civil rights leader Martin Luther King is leaving the Atlanta megachurch where the pastor has been embroiled in scandal, months after she turned down a leadership role with the organization her father co-founded.
In January, Bernice King announced she would not lead the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which her father headed during the height of the civil rights movement. Four months later, she is announcing her departure from her mentor and spiritual father, Bishop Eddie Long, and the church home where she has served for nearly a decade, New Birth Missionary Baptist Church.
Ms. King’s decision comes days after Mr. Long reached a settlement in the sexual misconduct lawsuits he has fought since September.
In a statement emailed to the Associated Press by his spokesman Tuesday, Mr. Long said that he and Ms. King have been “in discussion and prayer” for some time about her decision to leave the church to continue the legacy of her parents.
10 still missing in Joplin twister aftermath
JOPLIN — Less than a dozen people remain unaccounted for after the tornado that hit Joplin last week.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014