- RNC ‘autopsy’ authors: ‘Tremendous progress’ from a year ago
- Gun control groups turn to private sector to push crackdowns
- Study to test ‘chocolate’ pills for heart health
- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested for DWI
- Obama, Abbas to meet Monday morning regarding peace talks
- Guinness quits New York’s St. Patrick’s Day parade over gay march prohibition
- RNC goes on offensive with ad buys in 14 targeted states
- Saudi Arabia bans 50 ‘blasphemous’ baby names — like Benjamin
- Jack Daniel’s up in arms at Tenn. push to ‘weaken’ whiskey label
- Sen. Murphy: Putin ‘making this up as we go along’
Uggla takes an unexpected seat on Braves’ bench
ATLANTA (AP) - Slumping Braves second baseman Dan Uggla was given an unexpected day off.
“Anytime I’m out of the lineup,” Uggla said, “it’s not my idea.”
Uggla, who signed a five-year, $62 million contract after the Braves acquired him in a November trade with Florida, has just four hits in his last 47 at-bats _ dropping his season batting average to .178.
He was 0 for 3 with a walk and two strikeouts Monday, stranding three baserunners in Atlanta’s 3-2 loss to San Diego.
“You’re not going to walk your way out of a slump like this, so I’m trying to be aggressive,” Uggla said. “It’s all timing. I’ve just got to get my foot down. If I get my foot down, be on time, everything will fall into place. It almost seems like it’s that easy.”
“We’re just going day to day,” Gonzalez said. “Just give him a breather, and that’s it. I know he doesn’t like coming out of ballgames and he doesn’t want to come out of ballgames. He wants to be in there and be part of the whole thing, no matter what he’s hitting. That’s just the competitor in him.”
Uggla is coming off a career season with the Marlins, batting .287 with 33 homers and 105 RBIs.
For Atlanta, has seven homers, 16 RBIs, a .322 slugging percentage and a .246 on-base percentage.
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We overhauled U.S. health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Guinness quits New York's St. Patrick's Day parade over gay march prohibition
- Crimea votes in favor of secession; U.S. rejects
- Obama makes play for Obamacare in March Madness-themed ad
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Ron Paul: 'Washington does not care about our privacy'
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014