- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
McDonnell asks Gray to intervene on Metro station
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray says he will speak with the three D.C. appointees to the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority about their votes to build a Metrorail stop under Washington Dulles International Airport instead of an above-ground option $300 million cheaper.
Mr. Gray said Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Rep. Frank R. Wolf asked him if he would approach the D.C. board members and see if they would reconsider their votes last month in favor of the more expensive option.
Mr. Gray, however, said there was a "very strong case" for why the station should be underground in lieu of a plan that puts it on the surface and 600 feet farther away.
Few travelers used a stop by Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport until the terminal moved closer to the station, the mayor noted, lending support for the long-range value of the no-hassle stop at Dulles.
The proposed station is part of the second half of the 23-mile long Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project, which will extend Metro service through Dulles to eastern Loudoun County. The Phase II project had an original price tag of $2.5 billion but has since increased to $3.5 billion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Uninsured rates lower in states that embraced Obamacare
- Pelosi to speak at Bard commencement, Bachmann at Oral Roberts
- Minnesota the latest to employ Deloitte to fix Obamacare tech issues
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in 'Bridgegate' gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- New debate: Should Congress use technology to spend less time in D.C.?
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.