- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
American 1st: No male or female player in top 10
The news is worse on the men’s side. Former top-ranked players were Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe. Roddick won the 2003 U.S. Open, ahead of the longest drought in major singles titles during the Open era for the Americans.
“A new generation has to come,” said top-ranked Spanish player Rafael Nadal. “(Roddick) has enough potential to (get back into the top-10). Sam Querrey, John Isner, (Ryan) Harrison: These guys have to come and be there in the future _ that’s the new generation.”
While Americans aren’t racking up Grand Slams, they did combine to win nine singles titles in 2010 to trail only the Spanish players. Four American men finished the year in the top 20 for the first time since 1999.
Mattek-Sands, known for her knee-high socks and unusual tennis clothes, said she would never consider herself the top American unless she cracks the top 10.
“There’s a lot of talent out there, but it’s just tough right now. A lot of juniors get injured and their flame gets put out before they get a chance to go out on tour,” she said. “There is a lot of pressure in the U.S. to be No. 1.”
Paul Logothetis can be followed at http://twitter.com/PaulLogoAP
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.