- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Patriots WR Edelman arrested on assault charge
At a brief court hearing Tuesday, a not guilty plea was entered for Edelman to a charge of indecent assault and battery and he was released on personal recognizance.
Edelman did not say anything during the Boston Municipal Court appearance, which lasted just a couple of minutes. He and his attorney, Amy McNamee, walked through a crowd of reporters outside the courtroom without addressing them. He is due back in court on Jan. 10.
“The charges will be fought vigorously within the court system, instead of a rush to judgment elsewhere. We have no further comment beyond that,” agent Don Yee said in a statement released later by the Patriots, who declined to comment on the case.
Police were called to the club at about 1:30 a.m. and met a woman who said Edelman, 25, reached under her costume and grabbed her crotch, according to an application for a criminal complaint.
A witness who was with the woman said he observed Edelman bump into her and then saw her face “change into an expression of shock,” the complaint said. The woman and the witness told police they approached nightclub staff and asked to have Edelman thrown out.
The staff “ejected the witness followed by the victim,” the complaint said.
The nightclub manager told police the witness was threatening to beat up Edelman on the dance floor.
Edelman was arrested outside the club, where he denied to police that he groped the woman.
At his arraignment, he was ordered by a judge to stay away from the Storyville nightclub, and was ordered to have no contact with the woman or the witnesses.
Prosecutors did not ask for bail, but they did request a protective order on the woman’s name and address, which the judge granted.
Edelman, a third-year player, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL draft out of Kent State and has three catches this year for 25 yards. He was inactive for last Sunday’s 25-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In his career, he has 47 catches for 470 yards and a touchdown. He has also returned kicks for the team.
Associated Press Writer Laura Crimaldi in Providence, R.I., contributed to this report.
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again