- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Patriots WR Edelman arrested on assault charge
BOSTON (AP) - The agent for New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman says his client will “vigorously” fight a charge that he groped a woman during a Halloween party at a Boston nightclub.
At a brief court hearing Tuesday, a not guilty plea was entered for Edelman to a charge of indecent assault and battery and he was released on personal recognizance.
Edelman did not say anything during the Boston Municipal Court appearance, which lasted just a couple of minutes. He and his attorney, Amy McNamee, walked through a crowd of reporters outside the courtroom without addressing them. He is due back in court on Jan. 10.
“The charges will be fought vigorously within the court system, instead of a rush to judgment elsewhere. We have no further comment beyond that,” agent Don Yee said in a statement released later by the Patriots, who declined to comment on the case.
Police were called to the club at about 1:30 a.m. and met a woman who said Edelman, 25, reached under her costume and grabbed her crotch, according to an application for a criminal complaint.
A witness who was with the woman said he observed Edelman bump into her and then saw her face “change into an expression of shock,” the complaint said. The woman and the witness told police they approached nightclub staff and asked to have Edelman thrown out.
The staff “ejected the witness followed by the victim,” the complaint said.
The nightclub manager told police the witness was threatening to beat up Edelman on the dance floor.
Edelman was arrested outside the club, where he denied to police that he groped the woman.
At his arraignment, he was ordered by a judge to stay away from the Storyville nightclub, and was ordered to have no contact with the woman or the witnesses.
Prosecutors did not ask for bail, but they did request a protective order on the woman’s name and address, which the judge granted.
Edelman, a third-year player, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL draft out of Kent State and has three catches this year for 25 yards. He was inactive for last Sunday’s 25-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In his career, he has 47 catches for 470 yards and a touchdown. He has also returned kicks for the team.
Associated Press Writer Laura Crimaldi in Providence, R.I., contributed to this report.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.