- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Prince William to be deployed to the Falklands
The second in line to the British throne will spend six weeks in February and March at the British outpost 290 miles (460 kilometers) east of Argentina’s coast in the Atlantic Ocean, the Defense Ministry said.
Next year is a sensitive time _ the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.
Argentina invaded the islands in April 1982, and British forces retook them after a 10-week war that killed 650 Argentine troops, more than 250 British personnel and three islanders.
William’s uncle, Prince Andrew, served in the conflict as a Sea King helicopter pilot.
Britain still maintains about 1,000 troops in the territory, which is home to about 3,000 people.
The residents overwhelmingly wish to remain British, but Argentine President Cristina Fernandez has insisted Argentina and Britain should negotiate over the future of the islands, as the U.N. General Assembly has urged.
British Prime Minister David Cameron has refused.
In response, Fernandez accused Cameron of “mediocrity bordering on stupidity.”
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- First pot business license issued in Washington
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again