- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
Oscar’s tumultuous week ends with Governors Awards
She said receiving an Oscar for philanthropy is “unimaginable” given her humble beginnings in Mississippi.
“It’s impossible for you to even know what this journey has meant,” Winfrey said.
Appearing in “The Color Purple” was “one of the greatest experiences of my life,” she said, When Quincy Jones tapped her for the role of Sofia _ for which she earned an Oscar nomination for supporting actress _ he changed the course of her career.
“I’d like to do more films, but to receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award means more to me than any film, any acclaim, even an Oscar, because what it says is you all get it,” Winfrey said. “What this really means is that you all understand that what I’ve been trying to do, what I’ve been trying to say all these years, (which) is that all of us can make a difference through the life that we live.”
Winfrey said she plans to keep her new Oscar front and center on her desk.
“For me this Oscar will represent love from all of you,” she said. “I thank you for your vote of love and I will use it to increase the open space in my heart to continue to do the great and good work that we all have come to do.”
The film academy launched its Governors Awards three years ago to pay tribute to winners of honorary Oscars _ prizes previously presented during the Academy Awards telecast. Governors from its 15 branches chose Saturday’s winners.
Highlights from the event will be available online at Oscars.org and included in the Academy Awards telecast in February.
AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/APSandy .
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again