- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
Question of the Day
Online petition targets Target’s midnight opening
OMAHA, Neb. — An Omaha man’s online petition asking Target to drop plans to open stores at midnight on Thanksgiving has garnered tens of thousands of signatures in less than two weeks.
Anthony Hardwick works part-time as a cart attendant for a second job. The 29-year-old launched his petition Nov. 3 after learning of the chain’s plans to have employees report for work at 11 p.m. Thanksgiving Day.
Mr. Hardwick says the midnight opening means he and other Target employees will have to miss Thanksgiving gatherings in order to get enough rest and come in to work that night.
The petition asks that Target push back the opening to 5 a.m. on “Black Friday.” It had nearly 88,000 signatures by midday Tuesday.
Target officials say the midnight opening is a response to customer demand.
Levinson named Apple’s new chairman
CUPERTINO — Apple has named board member Arthur Levinson as its chairman.
He fills a post left open when Apple co-founder Steve Jobs died last month.
Mr. Levinson, who is chairman of Genentech Inc., has been co-lead director on Apple Inc.’s board since 2005. He joined the board in 2000.
Robert Iger, president and CEO of the Walt Disney Co., was tapped as director.
The appointments were announced Tuesday.
BP loses two Gulf spill rulings
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq