- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
Question of the Day
Island poised to surpass homicide record
SAN JUAN — Puerto Rico is having its deadliest year on record, as authorities struggle to control a rampant drug war in the U.S. Caribbean territory.
Police said Wednesday that three people died overnight in separate incidents, raising the year’s homicide toll to 995 on the island of 4 million people. That matches a 1994 record with six weeks left to go in the year.
Local authorities say 70 percent of the killings are drug related.
Both the unemployment and homicide rates in Puerto Rico are higher than in any U.S. state.
Political prisoners to be moved closer to families
YANGON — Myanmar began transferring some political prisoners from remote jails to facilities closer to their families Wednesday, according to a security official, but there was no sign when others might be freed.
News of the transfer was received warily by family and associates of prisoners, who feared it might take the place of a broader release, which had been anticipated this week.
Spies foiled Libyan plot to kill Westerners
LONDON — British intelligence agencies have helped disrupt a plan to kill Western representatives in Libya and attack the country’s interim leaders, Foreign Secretary William Hague said Wednesday.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world