- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Circus abuse of animals is well-documented
Question of the Day
Charles W. Stenholm’s objections to a law that would prevent elephants, tigers, zebras and other animals from being hauled around the country like freight makes sense when one considers his agenda (“Wrong approach to animal rights,” Commentary, Monday). Mr. Stenholm serves as senior policy adviser for the lobbying firm that is working to stop the U.S. Department of Agriculture from conducting mandated inspections of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. If the bill puts anyone’s job in jeopardy, it’s Mr. Stenholm‘s.
Readers can see for themselves exactly how Ringling abuses animals by reviewing volumes of documentation, including government and whistleblower reports, investigative exposes like the one by a Pulitzer Prize-winning author in the November issue of Mother Jones, and watching undercover video footage.
There is ample reason for the groundswell of public support for banning circuses from using wild animals: elephant babies ripped away from their frantic mothers, tigers being whipped until they hop like pogo sticks and wild animals spending their lives in small cages and in chains. The time for animal-based circuses is over.
Director, Captive Animal Law Enforcement
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job