- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Resale of the week: Woodland setting in McLean
Chesterbrook Woods, off Glebe Road in McLean, offers an ideal lifestyle for those who appreciate nature as much as they enjoy proximity to the District. As the name implies, tall trees provide a four-season spectacle for residents, particularly those lucky enough to own a home that backs to open woods.
The home at 1428 Wood-acre Drive in McLean, on the market for $1,199,000, offers a premium setting for bird-watching or just enjoying autumn colors and a floral explosion in the spring. Set at the end of a cul-de-sac on more than an acre, this residence backs to woodland that offers 180 degrees of views and privacy from parkland that cannot be developed.
Residents can reach the District via Chain Bridge within minutes as well as shopping, dining and entertainment in Arlington, Falls Church, McLean and Tysons Corner.
Built in 1964, this home has been in one family since 1973. The current owners have expanded and renovated the property with new baths, a new kitchen and a sunroom addition. This six-bedroom home has three finished levels with nearly 4,100 finished square feet above ground.
The landscaped front yard has a brick walkway leading to the front door, which sits under a portico with columns. An asphalt drive leads to the oversized side-entry two-car garage. At the back of the house is a low-maintenance yard with a flagstone patio accessible from the main and lower levels. The patio includes a hot tub resting under the trees.
Inside, this home has a circular flow for easy entertaining. Guests can be welcomed in the two-story foyer, which has ceramic tile flooring and a view through the dining room of the trees. To the left of the foyer is an elegant oversized living room with the original hardwood flooring, two windows facing the front yard, crown molding and a wood-burning fireplace with a marble hearth and surround and a wood mantel. The formal dining room has a bay window facing the woods, a chandelier and two-built in cabinets with marble tops and open shelving above.
Near the living room, the owners enclosed an open patio into a sunroom with windows on three sides and a wall of exposed brick. The sunroom has floor-to-ceiling windows, wood laminate flooring, a ceiling fan and heating and cooling. In one corner is a brick grill with a flue that can be converted into a gas fireplace.
The owners updated their kitchen but kept the original slate flooring in the breakfast area. The breakfast area faces the woods and has wainscoting. The adjacent open kitchen has an oversized center island with a granite counter, new granite counters, a custom-designed tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances and pale whitewashed wood cabinets.
On the opposite side of the foyer is the first-floor bedroom wing, which includes a master suite facing the woods. The bedroom has hardwood flooring, windows on two walls and a double-door closet. The adjacent private bath has been updated with a double-sink vanity, a linen closet, a clothes closet and ceramic tile flooring.
This wing has two more bedrooms, each with a double-door closet and hardwood flooring. Across the hall from these bedrooms is a full bath with ceramic tile flooring, a pedestal sink and an oversized shower with a glass door.
Hardwood stairs lead to the upper level, which has hardwood flooring in the hall and both bedrooms. Each bedroom is oversized, with dormer windows and plenty of space for a sitting area or study in addition to the sleeping area. The bedrooms have walls of closets and under-eaves storage closets, plus treetop views. These two bedrooms share a renovated hall bath with two sinks, ceramic tile flooring and a glass-enclosed shower.
The above-ground lower level is also finished and has several sliding glass doors and regular glass doors to the back and side yards as well as to the garage. The recreation room includes a wood-burning fireplace with a raised, brick hearth, new carpet and a wet bar with granite counters, plus plenty of storage and a new stainless steel sink.
This level also has a bedroom with a double-door closet and a double window facing the woods. This room could be used as a guest room, au pair suite or home office. Next door is a renovated full bath with ceramic tile flooring.
The lower level also has three large, practical spaces for flexible uses. One, a workshop and unfinished storage room, has a door to the side yard. On the opposite side of the recreation room is an oversized pantry or mudroom with a door to the garage. The third space is a sunny laundry room with counter space, a double-door closet, shelving and a sink in addition to a washer and dryer. This room has wide windows facing the woods as well as a door to the driveway.
The expansive floor plan of this home makes it ideal for a large family or someone who loves entertaining overnight guests, but the rooms also can function as office space for a home-based business.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes