- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
SNYDER: What if it was their child who was abused?
Question of the Day
Jennifer Sey, the 1986 U.S. all-around champion and author of the book “Chalked Up,” told the newspaper: “It’s my belief that [sexual abuse] over-indexes in gymnastics compared to the general public, just like the Catholic Church. I’d like USA Gymnastics to overtly say they put the athlete first, but they don’t put the athlete first.”
Officials at USA Gymnastics, The Citadel, the Boston Red Sox and Penn State might have had their priorities straight if an alleged victim was their young son or daughter, young niece or nephew, or another young person they care about regardless of relation.
They’re reflecting on that now.
It’s too late to help past victims. But it’d be a shame if these stories don’t stop future enablers from assisting in the creation of subsequent victims.
Meanwhile, the rest of us can think about having some discussions with the youngsters in our lives.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Deron Snyder is an award-winning journalist and Washington Times sports columnist with more than 25 years of experience. He has worked at USA Today and his column was syndicated in Gannett’s 80-plus newspapers from 2000-2009, appearing in The Arizona Republic, The Indianapolis Star, The Detroit News and many others. Follow Deron on Twitter @DeronSnyder or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SNYDER: Is Durant coming home to D.C. as a free agent in 2016?
- SNYDER: Steroid era feats still warrant Hall review
- SNYDER: Michael Sam a pioneer, but Tony Dungy doesn't need to be
- SNYDER: Robert Griffin III, Jay Gruden perfect together — for now
- SNYDER: Nationals flush with possibilities as second half kicks in
Latest Blog Entries
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world