- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
D.C. man to act as his own lawyer in wife’s death
Question of the Day
A German-born man charged in the slaying of his much-older wife will represent himself at trial.
Albrecht Muth fired his attorneys during a hearing Friday, and a judge allowed him to serve as his own lawyer.
The 47-year-old Mr. Muth is charged in the beating and strangulation of his 91-year-old wife, Viola Drath, a German-born socialite and journalist, at their home in Washington's Georgetown neighborhood. He has denied guilt and initially claimed his wife died of a head injury from a fall.
Mr. Muth also claims to be a general in the Iraqi army, but prosecutors say he is fabricating his military experience. He has requested to wear his military uniform at trial.
Mr. Muth told the judge Friday that he believes his wife's death was a "hit" ordered by Iranian agents.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world