- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
IndyCar’s Ed Carpenter to start own team
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - IndyCar driver Ed Carpenter is leaving Sarah Fisher Racing to start his own team and said Wednesday he plans to run a full season in 2012.
The announcement comes less than a month after Carpenter won his first career race at Kentucky. Fisher said after the victory that sponsor Dollar General was leaving, creating uncertainty with that team.
Now Carpenter has gone out on his own, starting a team with IndyCar founder Tony George, his stepfather. The team has a three-year sponsorship commitment from Fuzzy’s Ultra Premium Vodka, owned by former Masters and U.S. Open champion Fuzzy Zoeller.
“I am extremely excited about the opportunities that lie ahead with Ed Carpenter Racing,” Carpenter said in a statement. “Team ownership is something that I have thought about for quite a long time and is now becoming a reality. I don’t know that I ever thought that I would have the opportunity to be an owner/driver, but when an opportunity like this comes along, you can’t pass it up.”
Carpenter had a part-time schedule with Fisher last season, and his wheel-to-wheel race to the finish line with Dario Franchitti is his only career victory.
He has 113 career starts in nine IndyCar seasons. Carpenter has 26 top-10 finishes and three podiums.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.