- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Biblical blunder takes center stage at briefing
It was a blunder of biblical proportions.
Mr. Carney said Mr. Obama was trying to make the point that “we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people.”
“I believe the phrase from the Bible is, ‘The Lord helps those who help themselves,’ ” Mr. Carney said.
Well, no, not really.
A White House transcript of Mr. Carney’s briefing issued later in the day included the disclaimer: “This common phrase does not appear in the Bible.”
Mr. Obama started the debate earlier in the day when he took note of House action reaffirming “In God We Trust” as the country’s motto.
“I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work,” the president said.
Santorum campaigns for surprise finish
WILLIAMSBURG — Voters’ fascination with other Republican presidential candidates has not deterred former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who lags in national polls but is soldiering on in early-voting Iowa.
Mr. Santorum shows signs of traction with two months until the state’s lead-off caucuses.
He’s adding staff, picking up endorsements, and when he campaigns in Maquoketa, Iowa, Wednesday night, he will have completed his goal of visiting all of Iowa’s 99 counties.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.