- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
Service chiefs warn $1T cut would be ‘catastrophic’
Hill panel told of threat to readiness
On that theme, Gen. James Amos, the Marine Corps commandant, said the nation may lose forever the industrial ability to produce vertical take-off and landing aircraft, such as the Corps’ Harrier fighter, and the tilt-rotor aircraft Osprey.
“There’s not another nation in the world,” Gen. Amos said. “So if those lines were closed, that becomes terminal. That will become irreversible. You will not be able to gain that back.”
Gen. Norton Schwartz, Air Force chief of staff, said the new F-35 strike fighter and the KC-46, which refuels war planes in battle, also would be in jeopardy under sequestration.
The Air Force, he said, “as a matter of simple physical limitation, it will be able to accomplish fewer tasks in fewer places in any given period of time.”
Said Mr. Smith: “One thing’s absolutely clear. We’re not going to have more economic opportunity in this country if we have less influence in the world. It doesn’t work that way.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business on Vivec Murthy for surgeon general and smart guns
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- After three days, Redskins finally address defensive needs
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again