- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Stars testify at ethics hearing
Dead girl’s parents, actor Hugh Grant describe invasions
“It just felt like such an intrusion into a really, really private grief moment,” Mrs. Dowler said. The couple said they later realized that their own phone, as well as their daughter’s, had been hacked.
More than a dozen News of the World journalists and editors have been arrested and several senior Murdoch executives have resigned because of the still-evolving scandal. Two top London police officers also lost their jobs, along with Mr. Cameron’s media adviser.
Later this week, the inquiry will hear from Ms. Rowling, the renowned author of the “Harry Potter” books; comedian Steve Coogan; Miss Miller. and former Formula One racing boss Max Mosley - whose taste for sadomasochism was revealed in a widely publicized News of the World sting.
It’s a courtroom lineup that Britain’s celebrity-obsessed tabloids would love, if only they weren’t the ones in the dock.
• AP writer Raphael G. Satter contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
Extra charge on the bill reminds everyone who's paying
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again