- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
The campaign did not name the donor whose Scottish wedding Mr. Andrews attended.
The expenses that Mr. Andrews said were campaign-related will be repaid from his personal funds and then that money donated to a group dedicated to helping local homeless veterans. The expenses were first reported by the Star-Ledger newspaper of Newark.
Security adviser defends U.S. handling of Iran
National Security Adviser Tom Donilon said Tuesday that Iran has been weakened under the Obama administration, rebutting Republicans and other critics who have called the White House policy on Iran ineffective.
Mr. Donilon’s remarks at the Brookings Institution came just hours before a scheduled foreign-policy debate by GOP presidential hopefuls, several of whom have called for a tougher line against Iran. The White House said that the timing was coincidental.
Mr. Donilon told experts at the Brookings Institution that when President Obama took office in January 2009, Iran seemed to many in the region to be “ascendant,” its regime faced no significant challenge at home and the international community was divided over how to deal with Tehran’s nuclear program.
He said that after Iran rejected U.S. overtures for dialogue, the administration ramped up sanctions, sought to isolate Tehran diplomatically, thwarted Iran’s efforts to “meddle” in its neighbors’ affairs and strengthened military cooperation with Persian Gulf states. “We have steadily increased the pressure on the Iranian regime and raised the cost of their intransigence,” he said.
President to hold third American Indian conference
President Obama will address American Indian leaders Dec. 2 as they gather for a White House-sponsored tribal nations conference at the Interior Department. It will be Mr. Obama’s third conference with American Indians. Mr. Obama first met with tribal leaders in November of 2009.
The White House says Mr. Obama has made a commitment to strengthen government relations with American Indians. The conference will give leaders of the 565 federally recognized tribes an opportunity to interact directly with Mr. Obama and with top administration officials.
The 2009 event was the first meeting of its kind in 15 years.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WWII vet, 90, en route to Pearl Harbor event booted from flight
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Never apologetic. Never afraid. Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West joins Communities to bring tales from the biggest Foxhole of them all, the one inside the Beltway.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow