- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Restraining order extended in Selena Gomez case
Question of the Day
BURBANK, CALIF. (AP) - A civil judge extended a temporary restraining order Wednesday but refused to issue Selena Gomez a lengthier order against a man accused of stalking the singer-actress.
Superior Court Judge William Stewart said he will not grant a three-year restraining order while Thomas Brodnicki remains on a psychiatric hold unless he has assurances the man had an opportunity to be represented at a hearing.
Los Angeles Police Detective Jose Viramontes told Stewart that Brodnicki is in a hospital on an involuntary psychiatric hold and efforts are under way to place him under a conservatorship. Viramontes said those proceedings, which would place Brodnicki under court supervision and could establish a treatment plan, could take 10 months.
The judge said allowing Brodnicki time to contest the restraining order is a basic due process issue.
Another judge recently dropped a felony stalking charge against Brodnicki after determining prosecutors hadn’t proven he had caused fear for the star.
Berk argued that the civil order was the only court protection for Gomez.
Gomez, 19, did not attend the hearing. She wrote in a sworn declaration that she was in extreme fear after learning that Brodnicki had threatened to kill her while he was on a previous psychiatric hold.
Prosecutors accused him of traveling to Los Angeles and stalking the actress between July and October.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world