- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
Tuning in to TV
When the Minnesota congresswoman came out to greet Mr. Fallon, the “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” house band, the Roots, greeted her with a 1985 Fishbone song called “Lyin’ Ass Bitch.”
Mr. Fallon tweeted Tuesday, “I’m honored that @michelebachmann was on our show yesterday and I’m so sorry about the intro mess. I really hope she comes back.”
The song choice was criticized by many, including Fox News’ Todd Starnes, who wrote, “Could you imagine if the network had pulled a similar stunt with First Lady Michelle Obama or Secretary of State Hillary Clinton? NBC is not commenting and Fallon doesn’t appear to have the fortitude to respond. So allow me to fill in the blanks: NBC, you disgust me.”
Democratic Rep. Nita M. Lowey called the incident “insulting and inappropriate” in a statement Tuesday. “I do not share Michele Bachmann’s politics, but she deserves to be treated with respect,” she said.
“Dancing” draws 18 million viewers a week who got a firsthand look at the Iraq War veteran with the infectious positive attitude. They heard his story: how he was severely burned on more than 40 percent of his body when the Humvee he was driving for the U.S. Army struck a land mine, how he underwent numerous surgeries over years of recovery. Then they saw him dancing like that had happened to somebody else.
Earlier this month, Mr. Martinez was chosen as grand marshal of the 123rd annual Tournament of Roses parade. He was on the cover of People magazine and named one of its “sexiest men” a few weeks later. And on Tuesday, he became the new “Dancing With the Stars” champion.
“We’ve been able to create a lot of magical moments on the show and to top it off with this is amazing,” Mr. Martinez said, holding the glittery trophy.
“I feel great. I literally did everything I could have asked myself to do and more,” the reality star said after the show. Still, he said Mr. Martinez “deserves that trophy more than anyone.”
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Navigating the swindle
- EDITORIAL: Payback time in Wisconsin
- EDITORIAL: Marriage by reality TV
- EDITORIAL: Mending a bad bargain
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- OBAMASCARE: Huge premium hikes rock employer-insured workers
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- ISTOOK: Enlarging his rule, shrinking the Constitution
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- 5 million fall into Obamacare coverage gap
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Uncensored exploration of issues concerning current events, civil liberties, American political advocacy, and the political and social issues facing military veterans.
NFL junkie Eric Golub reports on his favorite obsession. There is no football offseason. Every February he pretends to care about other sports while sobbing uncontrollably each Sunday until September.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow