- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
Kansas fires coach Turner Gill after 2 seasons
KANSAS CITY, MO. (AP) - Kansas fired coach Turner Gill on Sunday after two losing seasons and with three years remaining on a contract that still owes him about $6 million.
The school announced the move in a news release Sunday, the day after the Jayhawks lost 24-10 to rival Missouri and finished the season 2-10.
“After a thorough evaluation of our football program,” Zenger said in a statement, “I have concluded that new leadership is necessary to place us on the path toward competing for championships in the Big 12 Conference. I come to this conclusion reluctantly, because I have the utmost respect for Turner Gill as a quality individual who wants only the best for the young men he coaches.”
Zenger said recruiting coordinator Reggie Mitchell would act as interim coach.
Gill came to Kansas from Buffalo, a perennially downtrodden Mid-American Conference team that he led to a league championship. At Kansas, he replaced Mark Mangino, who was fired in 2009 amid allegations he mistreated players.
Gill, a former star quarterback at Nebraska, said late Saturday that he had not spoken with Zenger, but sounded optimistic that he’ll be invited back for another season _ it took him three years to make Buffalo into a winner.
“I do think we made good progress,” he said. “I guess it may be we have more to go than we anticipated, including myself coming in. I just think we can still get some things done here and move this program the right direction and do the things we need to do, win games and win bowl games.”
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business on Vivec Murthy for surgeon general and smart guns
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- After three days, Redskins finally address defensive needs
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again