- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Honda worker cited under immigration law
BIRMINGHAM | A Japanese man temporarily working at Honda’s car factory in east Alabama became the second foreign auto worker charged under the state’s law on illegal immigration, the company said Wednesday.
The employee at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama in Talladega County received a ticket but wasn’t taken into custody, unlike a Mercedes-Benz manager who was previously arrested in Tuscaloosa.
It wasn’t clear where the Honda worker was stopped. But a person with knowledge of the case said the man was ticketed at a routine roadblock set up by police even though he had a valid Japanese passport and an international driver’s license. The person wasn’t authorized to release the information and asked not to be identified.
The company said in a statement it was aware one of its workers was ticketed under the immigration law.
A German manager with Mercedes-Benz was arrested under the law for not having a driver’s license with him while driving a rental car. Tuscaloosa city attorney Tim Nunnally said that charge was dismissed after the man later provided the documents in municipal court.
1st abuse suit comes from new accuser
PHILADELPHIA | Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky sexually abused a boy more than 100 times, then threatened to harm his family to keep him quiet, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday that details new accusations not included in criminal charges against Mr. Sandusky.
The lawsuit is the first in the Penn State child-sex-abuse scandal and identifies the plaintiff, now 29 years old, only as John Doe. It claims Mr. Sandusky abused the boy from 1992 to 1996 at the coach’s State College home, in a Penn State locker room, on trips to Philadelphia and a bowl game.
The plaintiff said in a statement issued by his lawyer soon after the filing, “I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened, but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids [who] were abused after me.”
The accuser said that Mr. Sandusky sexually abused him more than 100 times from the ages of 10 to 14 and threatened to harm him and his family if he told anyone. The suit also names the university and the Second Mile charity as defendants. The man says he knew the coach through the children’s charity, which Mr. Sandusky founded.
The man was not among the eight victims mentioned in a grand jury report. He filed a new complaint Tuesday with law enforcement, but his attorney wouldn’t say to which agency.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- White House touts leadership in handling of crisis in Ukraine, despite lack of results
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again