Feisty Cain presses ahead with presidential bid

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

WEST CHESTER, Ohio (AP) — His campaign rocked anew, a feisty Herman Cain claimed a “groundswell of positive support” from backers on Wednesday and accused critics of trying to derail his White House bid as he worked to stem the fallout from allegations of a 13-year extramarital affair.

“They’re attacking my character, my reputation and my name in order to try to bring me down,” Mr. Cain told a friendly crowd without naming his critics. “But, you see, I don’t believe that America is going to let that happen.”

Questions about the campaign’s viability hovered over Mr. Cain’s one-day bus tour through Ohio.

It came a day after the candidate told staff he was reassessing his campaign after Ginger White, an Atlanta businesswoman, alleged in media interviews that she and Mr. Cain had a long-running sexual affair.

“We are reassessing as we speak. Reassessment means re-evaluation,” Mr. Cain told reporters Wednesday after his well-received speech to roughly 150 people in a hotel meeting room. He gave no indication to the audience that he was considering abandoning his bid despite telling staff that he would make a decision in the next few days about whether to continue it.

Mr. Cain received a standing ovation after he spoke about what a “Cain administration” would do. And he said that while some people predicted that the room would be empty, “I don’t see any empty seats.”

“It’s been a groundswell of positive support,” Mr. Cain insisted to reporters later, even as some backers in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire who had stuck by him after decade-old allegations of sexual harassment surfaced several weeks ago now indicated they were abandoning him.

Mr. Cain’s latest turmoil comes just five weeks before the first votes are cast in the state-by-state march to the nomination. The earlier sexual harassment accusations have taken a toll on both his standing in polls and, supporters say, his fundraising.

Prominent conservatives who rushed to his defense earlier this month were all but silent when Ms. White stepped forward on Monday to accuse Mr. Cain of a consensual sexual relationship that ended this year before he became a White House candidate.

The candidate has denied the affair and, in a letter addressed to “patriots and supporters,” called her allegations “completely false” and labeled her “troubled.”

Ms. White steadfastly stood by her assertion in an interview Wednesday on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and said she was “disappointed” by Mr. Cain’s characterization of her. She called her relationship with Mr. Cain “a very casual affair” that lasted more than a dozen years.

“I’m not here to say anything negative about Mr. Cain,” Ms. White said, although she added that she didn’t think he should be president.

She elaborated on her claims, saying she took several trips with Mr. Cain, including a flight to Las Vegas to see a Mike Tyson-Evander Holyfield boxing match. She also said she “consistently” had received gifts and money from Mr. Cain over the past 2½ years, but said it was “not sex for cash.”

Following Monday’s developments, some Cain supporters have started to defect.

New Hampshire state Rep. William Panek endorsed Mr. Cain at a news conference earlier this year. But he changed his mind Tuesday after seeing reports that Ms. White showed evidence that she had traded 61 text messages and cellphone calls with the candidate. Mr. Panek has endorsed former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in the upcoming primary.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks