HONG KONG (AP) — Rory McIlroy has decided to stay home next year for the Irish Open instead of returning to the scene of his record U.S. Open win.
McIlroy said Wednesday at the Hong Kong Open that he will "definitely play" the Irish Open, to be held June 28 through July 1. That's the same week as the AT&T National at Congressional, the course where McIlroy won the U.S. Open by eight shots with a record score of 16-under 268.
The Irish Open was played at the end of July last year.
The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland said the Irish Open is one of the most important events on his calendar.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
A mother of three and a passionate conservative, Shirley Husar changes the game.
Political satirist and Christian apologist Bob Siegel discusses religion and politics.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall