- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Top 25 Preview Capsules
Purdue: LB Joe Holland. The senior leads Purdue with 64 tackles and could have his chances against a Wisconsin running game that has been dominant but was slowed slightly by tough defenses the past two weeks. Ohio State did a decent job containing Montee Ball, holding him to 85 yards and a touchdown.
FACTS & FIGURES
Wisconsin and Boise State are the only two teams in the nation to rank among the top 10 in both scoring offense and scoring defense. … RB Montee Ball leads the nation with 21 TDs. … Wisconsin has won 14 straight home games, the fifth-longest current streak in the country. … WR Jared Abbrederis leads the Badgers with 36 catches for 595 yards; he had six catches for 113 yards and two touchdowns in the loss to Ohio State. … Purdue led 10-6 at halftime in last year’s matchup with the Badgers in West Lafayette, but had three second-half turnovers and ended up losing 34-13. Ball had 127 yards rushing with two touchdowns. … Purdue has lost only three fumbles this season, none by rushers. A total of 16 players have run the ball for Purdue this season, and not one has coughed it up on 317 carries. … Sophomore CB Ricardo Allen leads Purdue with three interceptions. … Purdue QB Caleb TerBush has thrown at least one touchdown pass in five straight games and in seven of eight games this season. … Purdue is the second-most penalized team in the Big Ten behind Indiana, with 63 penalties in eight games. … Purdue punter Cody Webster is 10th in the nation with an average of 45.5 yards per kick.
No. 20 Arizona State (6-2, 4-1 Pac-12) at UCLA (4-4, 3-2), 7:30 p.m. (Versus).
Line: Arizona State by 9.
Series Record: UCLA leads 16-10-1.
WHAT’S AT STAKE
First place in the Pac-12 South Division. Arizona State is trying to take a two-game lead over UCLA, while the Bruins are trying to pull even with the Sun Devils and take the tiebreaker.
Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict vs. UCLA quarterback Kevin Prince. The personal foul-prone Burfict has struggled through an inconsistent season and has only 21 unassisted tackles and four sacks in eight games. Prince ran for 163 yards and was 9 of 18 passing for 92 yards last week in the Bruins’ victory over California.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
ARIZONA STATE: QB Brock Osweiler came on in relief of Steven Threet (head injury) last season against UCLA and led the Sun Devils to 55-34 comeback victory. He was 27 of 36 for 380 yards and four touchdowns and also ran for a score. UCLA led 17-0 when Threet was hurt. … Cameron Marshall ran for 114 yards last week against Colorado and has rushed for 632 yards this season. Last year against UCLA, he ran for 147 yards.
UCLA: Last week against Cal, Prince became the first UCLA quarterback to run for at least 100 yards in a game since Jeff Dankworth in 1976. It was the most rushing yards for a quarterback since John Sciarra had 178 against Tennessee in 1974. … Freshman safety Tevin McDonald had three interceptions against California.
FACTS & FIGURES
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Russia should be booted from FIFA World Cup, senators say
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- MILLER: Donald Trump says hes a Tea Party member
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again