Penn St. officials surrender in sex-abuse case

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

HARRISBURG, PA. (AP) - Two Penn State officials surrendered Monday on charges that they failed to report suspected child-sexual abuse by a former coach and committed perjury in their related grand jury testimony.

Senior Vice President Gary Schultz and Athletic Director Tim Curley both stepped down from their posts late Sunday, one day after the charges were announced.

On Monday, they appeared in a Harrisburg courtroom, where a judge set bail at $75,000. They weren’t required to enter pleas but they had to surrender their passports.

The pair are accused of failing to alert police to complaints that former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had sexually abused eight boys. They are also charged with lying to a state grand jury investigating the former defensive coordinator.

Schultz, 62, and Curley, 57, are innocent and will seek to have the charges dismissed, their lawyers said. Curley’s lawyer, Caroline Roberto, called the case weak while Schultz’s lawyer, Tom Farrell, said the men did what they were supposed to do by informing their superiors of the accusations.

Earlier Monday, investigators encouraged anyone who would accuse Sandusky of sexual assault to step forward and talk to police. Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly specifically asked that a child reportedly assaulted by Sandusky in view of a graduate student to call detectives about the 2002 encounter.

When asked if it was possible that there were more victims, she said: “When you look at the totality of the circumstances and the number of victims that we have, I don’t think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that there are other victims that exist here.”

Kelly also said the university’s longtime football coach, Joe Paterno, is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations.

Paterno, who last week became the coach with the most wins in Division I football history, wasn’t charged and the grand jury report didn’t appear to implicate him in wrongdoing. He testified before the grand jury.

State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said, as far as state police can tell, Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement to report.

“But somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child,” Noonan said. “I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you’re a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us.”

Paterno has called the criminal charges shocking and troubling.

“If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families,” he said in a statement Sunday.

Sandusky sexually abused eight boys over 15 years through his charity for at-risk youth, authorities charged.

Sandusky, once considered Paterno’s heir apparent, retired in 1999 but continued to use the school’s facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids. The charges against him cover the period from 1994 to 2009.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus