- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Staying at VCU was a Smart move
Coach put Rams on national map with Final Four run
Question of the Day
That’s why Smart stayed at VCU. Sure, he talked to N.C. State and Missouri would’ve been next in line if not for Frank Haith’s hiring. No one who knows him was surprised. He’s not the sort to grab money or attention. Fame’s trappings are secondary, pulled into perspective by his upbringing.
Teague, who hashed out Smart’s new contract in a half-day, envisions a national program that advances deep into the NCAA tournament each year with Smart bouncing around the sidelines and diving for loose balls with the rest of the team during practice drills.
Smart believes things are just getting rolling entering his third season in Richmond, including fundraising starting this fall for a $10 million basketball-only practice facility next to the Siegel Center.
There isn’t time to reflect on the Final Four run.
“Clearly, the success we had was a result of a group of people coming together, committing to a common cause,” Smart said. “I was just one of that group.”
Mention the Butler loss and there is the briefest pause in Smart’s energy. That was not a happy day, to feel so close, to actually believe you can capture the title and, instead, fly home with nothing.
The pause ends. Energy returns. Reflection? That can wait for retirement in 30 years. There’s work to do.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Declassified cables from Berlin Wall tell tale of drama, dare,
- Judge denies settlement motion in NFL concussion lawsuit
- Jay Gruden's long and winding road to Washington
- FENNO: Championship game provides an opportunity to listen to those who play
- FENNO: For Redskins, nonsensical is the new normal
Latest Blog Entries
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq