- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
Tuning in to TV
Question of the Day
Nancy Grace latest ousted from ‘Dancing With the Stars’
Nancy Grace is done with “Dancing With the Stars.”
The attorney and TV personality was dismissed from the ABC ballroom competition Tuesday, one week shy of the show’s semifinals.
“It’s been all Tristan from the get-go,” she said. She thanked the show’s crew, her family, “and especially you, Tris. Thank you.”
“That was nice,” replied Mr. MacManus, who was newly featured on the show this season. “Thanks for being very welcoming to me and also to Nancy. … We can’t be disappointed to make it this far. From the start, we always said it’s not about being the best, it’s about doing your best.”
Miss Grace came into Tuesday’s episode in last place with 44 points out of 60. On Monday, judge Len Goodman compared her to Cinderella.
“You’ve come to the ball,” he said. “It’s midnight, and it’s time to go home.”
Judges’ scores combined with viewer votes determine which contestant is ousted each week.
The four remaining celebrity dancers — reality star Rob Kardashian, actor and Army veteran J.R. Martinez, TV personality Ricki Lake and soccer star Hope Solo — will compete in the semifinals Monday.
Miss Grace joins seven previously ousted contestants: actor David Arquette, activist Chaz Bono, singer Chynna Phillips, actress Elisabetta Canalis, basketball player Metta World Peace, and TV personalities Kristin Cavallari and Carson Kressley.
‘Deadliest Catch’ crewman airlifted to Alaska clinic
Rescuers flew a member of the cable TV series “Deadliest Catch” fishing crew to a remote clinic in Alaska after he collapsed and showed signs of shock and dehydration on board a fishing vessel in the Bering Sea, the Coast Guard said Tuesday.
The agency didn’t identify the 28-year-old man, but said he’s a crew member of the 150-foot Wizard, part of the hit Discovery Channel reality series that depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.
Discovery didn’t immediately provide information, and emails seeking details that were sent through the website of the Seattle-based Wizard were not immediately answered.
A Coast Guard helicopter crew flew the man Monday afternoon to a clinic in the Alaska Peninsula community of Cold Bay, 60 miles to the south. He then was flown to an Anchorage hospital.
Waves were only about 3 feet high when the man fell ill. The National Weather Service said it occurred before the arrival of a huge storm brewing in the Bering Sea.
Wendy Whitney, a nurse practitioner at the Cold Bay clinic, said privacy laws prevented her from identifying the crew member. But she said the man was conscious at the clinic, adding that his condition wasn’t seasickness and needed further evaluation.
The man was flown Monday night to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage and was stabilized with intravenous fluids. He appeared to be feeling better before he departed on the medical flight to the medical center, Miss Whitney said.
The illness comes less than nine months after a crew member of another “Deadliest Catch” fishing vessel was found dead in an Alaska motel room. Justin Tennison, who worked on the Time Bandit, was found dead in Homer in February amid beer, hard liquor and a small amount of marijuana in a room where police believe a party had taken place the night before.
Last year, Capt. Phil Harris of the “Deadliest Catch” fishing vessel Cornelia Marie died after a massive stroke at age 53.
Kelly Ripa signs five-year deal
With her longtime co-host Regis Philbin prepping for next week’s exit, Disney-ABC Domestic Television has locked Kelly Ripa into a five-year deal at “Live!”
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the lucrative pact will go into effect next fall and extend through 2017, setting Miss Ripa up to be a 16-year veteran of the morning chatfest.
The timing is particularly pivotal given the weight being placed squarely on her shoulders as the series prepares to find a new co-host.
The search has been under way for months — with names from Ryan Seacrest to Bravo’s Andy Cohen bandied about — but nothing official has emerged. Said a source close to the production, “No decision has been made yet.”
In the meantime, the long-running series will parade through a series of high-profile names for Mr. Philbin’s final week. Among them: David Letterman, Donald Trump, Jimmy Fallon and Miss Ripa’s predecessor, Kathie Lee Gifford.
And when Miss Ripa kicks off her tenure as the lone host of “Live!” on Nov. 21, she’ll have a little company.
WABC-TV announced Jerry Seinfeld will sit beside her during the first week after Mr. Philbin’s official departure. A frequent guest on the series, Mr. Seinfeld will appear as co-host for three shows, Nov. 21 through 23, during the abbreviated Thanksgiving week shooting schedule.
“Jerry is a great friend of ours, and a friend of Kelly’s, and it doesn’t hurt that he’s an entertainment icon,” said “Live!” executive producer Michael Gelman. “It’s a great way to kick off the new beginning of our show.”
It also was announced that Jason Segel, Kim Cattrall, Howie Mandel, Jamie Oliver and Miss Piggy will be among the guests in the new “Live! with Kelly” era.
• Compiled from Web and wire service reports.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
- EDITORIAL: The food police trying to arrest soda, again
- EDITORIAL: Failing dead veterans, too
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Illegals aren't immigrants; they're thieves
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The danger of cowardice on world stage
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Humanists seek support from Congress on military chaplains
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Big milestone for Britain's little prince
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq