- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
NYSE site hobbled by outage, monitor says
SAN FRANCISCO | The New York Stock Exchange’s website was apparently hobbled twice Monday, possibly the result of computer attacks as part of the protests against Wall Street, according to a company that monitors website response times.
The loosely organized Anonymous hacking group has threatened an attack on the NYSE. Some protesters have objected to those threats because of the impression a hack would leave about the movement as a whole.
Keynote spokesman Dan Berkowitz said his firm began monitoring the NYSE site Monday after receiving media inquiries about the threats. He said the slowdowns were substantial and his firm considered the situation an outage.
Crude prices above $85 for first time since September
NEW YORK — Oil prices jumped 3 percent Monday as fears of another recession retreated.
Prices rose Monday after France and Germany agreed to put more capital into European banks. The move by the eurozone’s two biggest nations helped ease concerns that major banks in Europe and elsewhere would be brought down by the region’s debt crisis.
Benchmark crude rose $2.43, or 3 percent, to end the day at $85.41 per barrel in New York.
Orders for iPhone 4S top 1 million for new record
NEW YORK — Apple says first-day orders of the iPhone 4S topped 1 million, breaking the record set by last year’s model.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Lights out in Venezuela
- EDITORIAL: Health care hardball
- EDITORIAL: IRS doubles down
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on CNBC on Obamacare leaving more people losing insurance than new enrollees
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
Latest Blog Entries
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow