- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
HBO to film Liberace biopic with Michael Douglas
“Behind the Candelabra” will be directed by Steven Soderbergh. It will also star Matt Damon as Scott Thorson, the younger live-in lover of the flamboyant entertainer, to be played by Douglas. HBO made the announcement Tuesday.
Jerry Weintraub (“Ocean’s Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen”) is executive producer.
The film’s title refers to the trademark candelabra always gracing Liberace’s grand piano when he performed. He was also known for his outrageous costumes and extravagant jewelry.
The 67-year-old Douglas has recently battled throat cancer, but last January he announced his tumor was gone and predicted he had beaten the disease.
“Behind the Candelabra” is scheduled to begin production next summer. No airdate was announced.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- FIELDS: Oscars' fantasy on the Left Coast
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again