- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Birk fined $5K for removing mic; will appeal
Question of the Day
OWINGS MILLS, MD. (AP) - Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk has been fined $5,000 by the NFL for removing a microphone from his shoulder pads during a game against the New York Jets.
The NFL requires centers or offensive guards to wear microphones.
Birk says he tore his microphone off after it came loose and was jabbing his neck. He said because he couldn’t reach it, “I just took it off.”
He says he will appeal the fine, in part because he didn’t know he couldn’t remove the mike. He called it a “misunderstanding.”
Asked if wearing a microphone could provide a competitive advantage for other teams, Birk said, “It’s tough to say.” But he said a lot of the calls sound the same.
Birk says this is the first time he’s been fined for removing the microphone.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- 9-year-old girl dies from brain-eating amoeba
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Economists see signs of another market bubble
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs