- Mass. police award 3-year-old girl for saving pregnant mother
- Sen. Barrasso: ‘Nothing flies, nothing shoots, nothing works’ in Ukrainian military
- RNC ‘autopsy’ authors: ‘Tremendous progress’ from a year ago
- Gun control groups turn to private sector to push crackdowns
- Study to test ‘chocolate’ pills for heart health
- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested for DWI
- Obama, Abbas to meet Monday morning regarding peace talks
- Guinness quits New York’s St. Patrick’s Day parade over gay march prohibition
- RNC goes on offensive with ad buys in 14 targeted states
- Saudi Arabia bans 50 ‘blasphemous’ baby names — like Benjamin
Israeli Cabinet minister blasts prisoner swap deal
The dilemma in Israel over the charged deal was reflected in Wednesday’s newspapers. Alongside beaming headlines reading “Gilad is Coming Home” and “Homeward Bound” were columns warning if the dire consequences.
“Yesterday was an evening of capitulation, an evening in which Israel got down on its knees in front of Hamas, an evening in which Israeli staying power failed, and faintheartedness overcame the toughness that is required in our neighborhood,” wrote Maariv columnist Ben Kaspit.
“The price is excessive, the risks are great and the precedent is displeasing, but a state that for five years was unable to rescue a soldier from captivity by other means has no choice but to pay the price,” he wrote. “The alternative — to let him die in captivity — is unacceptable. It does not meet the minimum conditions of the Israeli tribe.”
• Ibrahim Barzak in Gaza City contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We overhauled U.S. health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- Guinness quits New York's St. Patrick's Day parade over gay march prohibition
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Crimea votes in favor of secession; U.S. rejects
- New 'gainful employment' proposal sparks criticism
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Obama makes play for Obamacare in March Madness-themed ad
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014