- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Blasphemy laws infringe on free speech
Question of the Day
I just read the horrifying, apocalyptic op-ed by Frank J. Gaffney Jr. ("Diplomacy of September"). The prospect of Shariah blasphemy laws coming to the United States are real. Case in point: Fred Grandy, host of a top-rated talk radio show, was fired from WMAL-AM because Shariah activists were offended by his and his wife's reporting.
Not satisfied by Mr. and Mrs. Grandy having lost their means of earning a living, the Democratic Party in Maryland's legislature and in Montgomery County have publicly denounced Mr. Grandy as "divisive" and have objected to him addressing a meeting of Republicans.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has joined the anti-Islamic speech police by driving the idea that there will be repercussions and criminalization of what some are calling hate speech against Islam. These ideas must be condemned by Americans of every stripe. This is a direct violation of our First Amendment right - freedom of speech. If we allow speech to be silenced, our great country is doomed.
This is why I urge all citizens to contact WMAL to have Fred Grandy and his wife reinstated as hosts. This assault on freedom of speech cannot stand. If we do nothing, in the words of Ronald Reagan, we will surely "spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it once was like in the United States where men were free."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone