- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
Judge tosses Iraq vet’s lawsuit over ‘Hurt Locker’
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit filed by an Iraq war veteran who claimed “The Hurt Locker” was based on his experiences as a bomb disposal expert.
Sarver sued over the film days before it went on to win best picture at the Academy Awards in 2010. He claimed screenwriter Mark Boal based the film on him and that Sarver was presented in a false light, which resulted in ridicule from fellow service members.
“Here, the value of `The Hurt Locker’ unquestionably derived from the creativity and skill of the writers, directors, and producers who conceived, wrote, directed, edited, and produced it,” Nguyen wrote in her 22-page opinion.
“The Hurt Locker was inspired by many soldiers I met and interviewed during my time reporting in Iraq and elsewhere,” Boal wrote in a statement. “It was a disservice to all of those other soldiers for Sgt. Sarver to claim that he was the only soldier that was the basis for the hero of the film. I am glad that the Court has decided to dismiss the lawsuit.”
Attorney Todd Weglarz, who represented Sarver, said he was disappointed by the ruling and intended to appeal it.
“We are not going to stop representing the rights of Sgt. Sarver and other military members and the privacy of their families,” Weglarz said.
He noted that Nguyen had issued a tentative ruling earlier this year that didn’t dismiss all of Sarver’s lawsuit, but her final ruling did. Weglarz said he thought the case should be decided by a jury.
Tim Gorry, an attorney who represented the film’s financiers and producers Nicholas Chartier and Greg Shapiro, said Nguyen’s ruling reinforces First Amendment protections for filmmakers.
“This should reduce the chilling effect that lawsuits such as this one have on creative expression for all the arts,” he wrote in an email.
“No artist should ever be forced to create entire fictional worlds that have no basis in reality simply because they fear the threat of meritless lawsuits,” Reynolds said in a statement.
In court filings, Sarver said using him as a basis for Jeremy Renner’s character in the film had harmed his reputation and placed his life at risk.
“Defendants have essentially placed a bulls-eye on the back of my army uniform/bomb suit for my current and future deployments,” Sarver wrote in a sworn declaration he signed in Afghanistan in March.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq