- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- Ann Coulter takes up ‘Mitt Romney for President’ chant again
- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ co-writer killed
NASHVILLE, TENN. (AP) - Country star Charlie Daniels says his longtime keyboardist and co-writer of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” had his own musical personality
Joel “Taz” DiGregorio, 67, was killed Wednesday night in a single-car accident on Interstate 40 west of Nashville while en route to Georgia for a Charlie Daniels Band concert that has since been canceled. He was alone when his car flipped going around a curve, Daniels said.
“He was an intricate part of our sound for 40 years,” Daniels said Thursday in a telephone interview. “If you listened to our records, you could hear Taz all over them. He had a riff in `The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ which was his idea.”
Wearing an ever present cowboy hat and always to Daniels‘ right on stage, DiGregorio was a fixture of the band’s rocking persona.
“He just fit in with our music for 40 years. It won’t be easy without him,” Daniels said.
The Charlie Daniels Band has canceled the concert Thursday in Cumming, Ga., and a show in Waterbury, Conn., on Saturday.
Daniels said he will resume performing next Friday and Saturday in Oklahoma with just five members.
“I won’t replace him now,” Daniels said. “I can’t come to grips with replacing him right now, but I will.”
DiGregorio is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters. Funeral arrangements were incomplete.
“He just had a unique way,” Daniels said. “We’ll live with this and deal with it.”
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.