- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Wyoming gas plant explosion sends entire town fleeing
- Aborted fetuses from British Columbia incinerated in Oregon plant to make electricity
- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ co-writer killed
NASHVILLE, TENN. (AP) - Country star Charlie Daniels says his longtime keyboardist and co-writer of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” had his own musical personality
Joel “Taz” DiGregorio, 67, was killed Wednesday night in a single-car accident on Interstate 40 west of Nashville while en route to Georgia for a Charlie Daniels Band concert that has since been canceled. He was alone when his car flipped going around a curve, Daniels said.
“He was an intricate part of our sound for 40 years,” Daniels said Thursday in a telephone interview. “If you listened to our records, you could hear Taz all over them. He had a riff in `The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ which was his idea.”
Wearing an ever present cowboy hat and always to Daniels‘ right on stage, DiGregorio was a fixture of the band’s rocking persona.
“He just fit in with our music for 40 years. It won’t be easy without him,” Daniels said.
The Charlie Daniels Band has canceled the concert Thursday in Cumming, Ga., and a show in Waterbury, Conn., on Saturday.
Daniels said he will resume performing next Friday and Saturday in Oklahoma with just five members.
“I won’t replace him now,” Daniels said. “I can’t come to grips with replacing him right now, but I will.”
DiGregorio is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters. Funeral arrangements were incomplete.
“He just had a unique way,” Daniels said. “We’ll live with this and deal with it.”
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- In the company of a saint: Catholic Church will canonize Pope John Paul and Pope John XXIII
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- NAPOLITANO: A legal way to kill?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014